Thursday, November 19, 2009

Financial Assistance Frustration

When recently diagnosed, I called the American Cancer Society so see what they could do, not really knowing what they did. I asked about financial assistance & they offer a $50. gas card to help with transportation that one can have each calender year. I am on my second $50. gas card since their fiscal year begins September 1st.

I was also directed to the
Patient Advocate Organization as a source for financial assistance. I applied for a grant and received a letter in April saying my application had been approved and that I could access up to $1,500. per grant period. I was elated that I would have less financial stress.

Since that time, I have had hormone therapy & just had my 10th of 37 radiation treatments. I have
not been able to access a penny of this grant as it does not include co-pays for radiation therapy & my office visit co-pay covered the hormone injection.

It seems there are so many strings attached to treatment that the grant becomes useless in the entanglement of bureaucracy. Obviously, whomever makes these rules has not been where I am, needing financial assistance while going through radiation treatment.

I wrote both organizations and politely expressed my frustration. Even though, I am sure nothing will be done, I felt better in voicing my opinion on the useless grant in my time of need. I wonder if those who donate to this organization knows of the strings attached?

I was kind of shocked today when a friend wrote me and said, "That's exciting to learn that you are so far through your treatments. I pray the rest of them go by quickly". I shared what the person said with a fellow patient today who could relate to what I was going through. I have not even gone to 1/3 of my radiation appointments, so to think I still have so many left is overwhelming! The woman I spoke with said she had seven appointments left. I told her, "Oh! That means there is light at the end of the tunnel"! Only one who has gone through this experience can relate.

In today's session, I broke out into a sweat several times due to the hot flashes from my hormone therapy, even though it was cool in the chamber. I am eager for the hot flashes to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment