Monday, November 16, 2009

A Ray of Sunshine

In between rain showers, I headed to the bus stop for my 8th radiation treatment. I kept walking to a few more bus stops further down the route since I got there early and hate just standing there. In the mean time, the sky opened up & poured. I sought shelter beneath the limbs of a mango tree while waiting.

When I walked in to the radiation room, the receptionist smiled and said, “You're like a ray of sunshine”. I thanked her and then asked why she would say that? Perhaps because of the doom and gloom in the waiting room? She said she had had a bad day & that she often tried to interact with patients and all too often they don't respond, but that she can always count on a positive response from me.

I asked her if I should go tell the other patients waiting there to “lighten up". She responded, “Maybe your energy will rub off on them”. I told her, “Actually, I often pray for the other patients as I wait with them as I feel I am doing something positive that way”. I then added, “Maybe someone might be doing the same for me”. She said, “I'll remember that”, as if to tell me she would say a prayer for me. I have never seen a smile or heard laughter from any of the other patients my 8 visits thus far to the waiting room.

It's by God's grace that I might be seen as having a positive attitude, as I don't “try” to. I just ask for God's grace each day as I go through it. I haven't really been sad or depressed while I am in treatment since the first few times, as I am not there long and the people who work there have been friendly.

29 treatments to go. I hope I can continue to come across as positive and cheerful. I won't wear a mask if I feel lousy.

No comments:

Post a Comment