Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Fourth Session


Today was my fourth day of radiation and I felt the least anxious about it.

I asked the receptionist a question when I got there & she told me, “You sound like Steve Martin”. I told her, “People used to tell me I sounded like Paul Lynde from Bewitched” and then did an impersonation of him. She and another woman behind the counter started laughing really loud. I responded, “Oh, sorry, this is not a place of laughter, but a place of tears”. The receptionist said, “laughter is good”, and I agreed that it has medicinal value.

As I laid in the radiation chamber, I thought about how once the unknown becomes familiar, it ceases to be frightening.

I saw an elderly Asian woman in the elevator with me & her husband. I asked her if she had been doing radiation long & she told me about a month. She said she had done chemo earlier that day as well and was so tired. I realized that I had it MUCH better than most, and was grateful.

I was told I will need 37 radiation sessions in total, and if I figured it out right, with their being closed Thanksgiving & Christmas, my last day will be December 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment