Friday, November 13, 2009

Seventh Treatment

Today I felt more tired at the thought of the monotony of my daily schedule, but don't think it had to do with the radiation. I laid down for 20 minutes before I was to catch the 3:15 bus to make my 4:20 appointment. When I got to the bus stop down the long, steep driveway, there was a notice that the bus was not stopping there as the water company was working on a water main break on the route near by. There was not time to walk the few blocks to where I could have caught the bus and still make it on time.

Luckily, I have a car, though I'd rather take the bus. I was sweating by the time I got back into the house after walking up the steep driveway in the Hawaiian sun. I now had a half an hour until I had to leave by car to make the appointment so I had time to make a large, iced latte before I had to go.

The Tomo technician wants me to have the radiation done on a full bladder (for fewer side effects), which is difficult to do. If I drink a lot before taking the bus, I have to go before the radiation. He can always see if my bladder is full by the CT scan they do every day before the radiation begins.

I remarked to the receptionist that it seemed like I was in the movie “Groundhog Day” since I come at the same time very day & see (mostly) the same patients in the waiting room who have their appointments at the same time each day as well.

As I went in the changing room to change into the mandatory, undignified hospital gown and white robe, I thought of the person who has to do the laundry and fold all of those items each day. I would not want to be them!

When my name was called, the Tomo technician told me I was his favorite patient. He then went on to tell me it was because I was his last patient of the day. I am glad to have the weekend off. Thirty treatments left to go. So far, it seems there has been no side effects, for which I am thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment