Thursday, December 3, 2009

BBQ Invitation

I survived treatment number #20 today. At least I am finally past the half way mark! Earlier in the day, I got a letter from Kaiser saying that Queens Medical Centre had billed them for ONE CT scan they did on me right before the radiation commenced. They were billed $2,554.00 and my portion is just $10. 00. Thank God I have health insurance!

Yesterday, I brought my smiling & upbeat bus driver a loaf of homemade cinnamon bread that was still warm from the oven. Today, he said how much he & his family enjoyed it.

Today, he asked me where I am going every day, as he is usually the one to pick me up on the way home about 2.5 hours later. I told him I was going in for radiation for prostate cancer. He seemed shocked. He told me his father had died of advanced prostate cancer, but they probably did not find it sooner as he also had had Alzheimer's. I told him that it was important that he be tested for it as those with prostate cancer in their family are 50% more likely to get it themselves.

He was the one who picked me up again today on the way home. During my treatment, he had called his wife to tell her that he needed to be tested, but she said that he'd been tested less than a year ago. I told him that that was good & that he can sleep better tonight.

We still hadn't even exchanged names when he invited me to a BBQ at his house in the valley next to the one where I live so I can meet his wife. I told him my name & he told me his name was Warren. I found out we are the same age. He's been driving the bus over 20 years! I was surprised this man I do not know other than riding on his bus would invite me over. I told him I would bring a homemade lilikoi (passion fruit) meringue pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment